Monday, April 23, 2012

Home Again, Home Again, Jiggety-Jig!

Back home from Toronto, and I've hit the ground running.

For regular readers of this blog, you know I was in Toronto with my daughter on a mission: the perfect prom dress.  Well, we went to every vintage store in Toronto.  We found a possible candidate at the very first store on Day 1;  it was the perfect style, the desired cream colour, and looked fabulous, but too large and we would have to wait for the seamstress to make it in her size ... and then I saw the price tag, which made me choke: $600. Also, it had no lace and was merely a copy of a vintage style.  So we kept shopping till dinner time.  No luck, though my daughter did pick up all kinds of wonderful vintage accessories: a box purse, a wallet, shoes, etc.  But no dress.  We went to the theatre that night and saw War Horse - spectacular!  If you go, take Kleenex.

Next morning, cool and rainy, as we waited for the streetcar on Queen Street, I saw a penny on the ground.  I reminded my daughter, "Find a penny, pick it up, and all the day you'll have good luck." She scoffed until I reminded her we were on an important quest. Penny got picked up in no short order.  First shop we entered, I found a dress buried in the racks that seemed to fit the bill: ivory, sleeveless, lacy, and very inexpensive ... when she tried it on, and I went to zip it up, worried it might be too small, it was like it was made for her.  Success!  I am not permitted to post a photo of THE dress yet, and there may be some slight alteration - shortening and/or creating a low back - but I promise to post a photo on prom night.  A month away.

First on my agenda is to make a piece for the Viewpoints 9 challenge.  Here is what I am trying to respond to: http://viewpoints9.blogspot.ca/2012/03/vp9-our-first-challenge.html   Or you can "Like" our Facebook page and follow our adventures that way.  This Thursday is the Big Reveal!  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment