Saturday, February 9, 2013

The Adventure Begins ... in Singapore




Slept in, spent too long on catching up on email, and by the time I was ready to explore the NUS campus (National University of Singapore), the heavens opened and a violent thunderstorm kept me indoors. It let up fairly quickly, and then we took a bus and the MTR to the downtown area, though we kept our umbrellas handy as there were intermittent light showers.


We arrived at Raffles Place and sauntered up and down the streets and across bridges, enjoying the sights amidst the great excitement as everyone set up for Chinese New Year. Year of the Snake!


In Chinatown, we entered what must surely be the world's largest food court - an astonishing warren with filled with every Asian delicacy you can imagine, with vendors along hall after hall, level after level. We finally settled on BBQ duck, Mapo Dofu (Tofu with Pork), and Spicy Beef with Veggies - all absolutely delicious and washed down with Tiger beer.

One thing I am struck with is the politeness and sweet dispositions of everyone we've met. From shopkeepers to cab drivers to strangers on the MRT, people are unfailingly polite and cheerful. Of course, if you don't have to contend with freezing temperatures and two feet of snow (which I understand is what our family and friends in Ottawa are contending with), why wouldn't you be eternally happy? :)

As I write this, I am on the plane to Bali, via Surabaya, and the sun is shining brightly - a good omen!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Singapore

1 comment:

  1. I can not wait to hear and see Bali! I am ready for my Chinese delicacies -- they sound so tasty!

    ReplyDelete